What did Microsoft know about problems with its Surface devices and when did officials know it? PT has seen a leaked memo and has the scoop - And some follow-up context. Even if Consumer Reports' methodology is questionable and MS has turned the corner, can Microsoft recover from being dinged? What does this incident mean for next-generation Surface-branded devices? For MS' relationship with Intel? Microsoft adds Windows 10 S support to new Surface Pro. NFL expands usage of Surface (Pro 4). Microsoft is changing Windows 10 to meet all of Kaspersky's demands Windows 10 Pro for Workstations is a thing. So now there are almost ten (or more, depending on how you count) different editions of Win 10. Three new SKUs this year alone: Windows 10 S, Windows 10 Business and now this. Windows 10 S: Yea or Nay? Brad: It's almost ready. Paul: Almost ready means "not ready." Intel's 8th generation Core processor reveal is August 21. Devices coming this holiday. .NET Core 2.0 is out. What is this thing? And why is Microsoft taking a mulligan on .NET? Microsoft buys Cycle Computing, a cloud orchestration company (that's partnered with AWS, Google, too). Microsoft takes the wraps off Azure Event Grid service. Shields up: LinkedIn Messaging is adding a new online presence feature that's turned on by default. (boo!) Xbox Insider Program is a bit more open, a lot more complex. The first Xbox Live Creators Program games are here.
• Tip of the week: You can finally edit contacts in Outlook for Android/iOS.
• App pick of the week: OneDrive for iOS
• Enterprise pick of the week: Coco Framework
• Codename pick of the week: Ice Lake
• Beer pick of the week: Victory Prima Pils Mark your calendars! Windows Weekly is coming to Microsoft Ignite in Orlando, and we're having a meetup the day before the show! Tuesday, Sept. 26 -- Starts 6 pm no RSVP at World of Beer/Dr. Phillips: https://worldofbeer.com/Locations/DrPhillips (Thanks to Gary Pretty for all the legwork for this one!)
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly
Check out Paul's blog at thurrott.com
Check out Mary Jo's blog at AllAboutMicrosoft.com
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
The Windows Weekly theme music is courtesy of Carl Franklin.